This page provides links to earthquake sound files most of which I have created myself using the QVS Data program and some that I have gleaned from around the web.
PLEASE DO NOT USE HEADPHONES OR EARPIECES TO LISTEN TO EARTHQUAKE SOUNDS. THE FILES ARE NOT EASY TO HEAR AND THE TEMPTATION IS TO TURN THEM UP FULL. THE QUAKE MAY THEN DEAFEN YOU – LITERALLY. I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU DO TO YOURSELF OR YOUR EQUIPMENT BY LISTENING TO THESE FILES.
Sounds by Others
Mount Erebus Volcano Observatory
Various pages of sounds.
Sounds by me
All of the sound files can be accessed from here: My sounds folder @ 4shared
This is currently divided into 5 sub folders: Japan & China, New Zealand & Pacific Islands, Others, Sumatra, USA & Canada. You can download individual files from here
Japan & China
- Magnitude 5.8 off Honshu Japan Jan 2009 800Hz (56 Kb)
- Magnitude 5.8 off Honshu Japan Jan 2009 1600Hz (56 Kb)
New Zealand & Pacific Islands
- NZ_MRZ _HHZ_20100824-215959_1000Hz.mp3
- NZ_MRZ _HHZ_20100824-215959_1000Hz.ogg
- NZ_MRZ _HHZ_20100824-215959_1000Hz.wav
- NZ_MRZ _HHZ_20100824-2217_1000Hz.mp3
- Empty folder at present
- TOBA at 1000 Hz. 26 Oct 2010 18:00 UTC (844 Kb wav)
- TOBA at original 20 Hz. 26 Oct 2010 18:00 UTC (844 Kb wav)
You cannot hear this file. Use this for playing around with the sound.
- TOBA at 1000 Hz 27 Oct 2010 00:00 UTC (1.2 Mb mp3)
- Another Toba file